Website University of Johannesburg
The Department of Chemical Sciences is an academic unit within the Faculty of Science. The core functions of the department are teaching, training and research. The department is situated on both the APK Campus in Auckland Park, and the DFC campus in Doornfontein, both in Johannesburg.
- Must demonstrate a strong commitment to excellence in teaching and productive research, and play a leading role in teaching innovation including the use of online tools.
- Be actively involved in core activities of the department such as teaching, research, academic administration, short-course development, marketing, and community projects.
- Assume responsibility to teach modules (theory and/or practical) in Organic Chemistry enlisted for the Chemistry undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in the Department.
- The incumbent will be expected to lead curriculum development in Organic Chemistry programmes.
- Annually publish peer-reviewed papers in accredited scientific and/or academic journals, and deliver papers at national and international conferences, commensurate with the level of appointment.
- Actively supervise postgraduate students.
- Obtain research funding from external funding bodies.
- Perform administrative and ad hoc duties as required by the Department
- PhD in chemistry or equivalent, with experience in synthetic Organic Chemistry.
- Must have teaching experience at undergraduate and post-graduate tertiary level (5-10 years).
- Previous involvement in developing university learning programmes, developing new courses, or enriching existing courses.
- Experience in supervising post-graduate students, and evidence of graduated MSc and/or PhD students.
- Proven research excellence and sustained, significant research outputs in ISI accredited journals.
- NRF rating would be a requirement.
- Evidence of community and/or industrial involvement would be beneficial.
- Proven record of engagement with the scholarship of teaching, e.g. an abridged teaching evaluation or portfolio.
- Strong commitment to good teaching and research.
- Sound communication skills in English.
- A good/successful Research fundraising record of accomplishment.
Company: University of Johannesburg
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Johannesburg
Application Deadline: N/A