Website University of Johannesburg
The UJ College of Business and Economics (CBE) has its purpose cut out: “The CBE develops critical thinkers and problem solvers who address business, economic and societal challenges”, monitored and evaluated against the UJ 2025 Strategic Plan, as well as strives towards dynamic knowledge making for the 21st century.
The CBE is the largest faculty at the University of Johannesburg, housing six schools, 12 departments, 6 research centres, 1 Research Laboratory and 3 SARChi Chairs. The CBE holds, in terms of global rankings, a global footprint. The CBE qualifications range from diplomas to postgraduate diplomas, undergraduate degrees, postgraduate degrees and postdoctoral programmes housing some 26 000 students. Its continuous education programmes include short learning programmes, bridging programmes and whole programmes.
Read more about the College of Business & Economics at: https://www.uj.ac.za/faculties/cbe/
The University is seeking to appoint an exceptionally motivated and energetic leader of high professional and academic standing as CBE Executive Dean.
Reporting to both the Deputy Vice-Chancellors Academic and Research & Internationalisation, the Executive Dean is a member of the UJ Executive Leadership Group (ELG), and is responsible for shaping, leading and delivering world-class, transformative education, professional development and postgraduate programmes, coupled with a strong focus on research with impact.
The Executive Dean has strategic, operational, and administrative oversight of the CBE and is expected to effectively and collegially steward the CBE to achieve and grow sustainable excellence in all aspects of teaching, research, innovation, internationalisation and community engagement.
- Determine, articulate, implement and lead CBE based strategic initiatives to enhance the UJ’s reputation and performance in accordance with its 2025 Strategic Objectives, viz. enhancing Global Excellence and Stature (GES) in the context of decolonisation, 4IR and the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- Ensure the effective and efficient delivery of the College’s academic programmes across academic departments and disciplines.
- Develop and deepen excellence and innovation in learning and teaching, including online/blended learning pedagogy, the Scholarship of
- Teaching and Learning and Academic Citizenship and Leadership.
- Promote and advance excellence in research and innovation – both in quality and quantity.
- Implement policies and develop resources that promote and enhance the research as well as learning and teaching capacity and capabilities of the CBE, including raising funds in support of research and learning and teaching, and Continuous Education.
- Oversee an effective, competitive, and responsive Programme Qualification Mix, including joint programmes with international peer universities.
- Ensure the highest level of CBE governance, administration and systems functioning, including CBE enrolment planning, management of the students’ academic life cycle and risk management.
- Develop and implement relevant online, inbound/outbound/virtual and/or joint academic programmes.
- Effectively manage academic, administrative, and professional support staff, including staff recruitment, development and retention.
- Ensure effective and efficient management of the College’s research centres, finances, subsidies, and other resources.
- Promote the reputation and standing of the CBE in local, national, regional, and global context.
- Strengthen relationships with the public and private sectors, and with professional societies/councils, departments of education, and academic partners in South Africa and internationally.
- Develop and maintain meaningful relationships between the CBE’s alumni and their alma mater.
- Substantial academic stature commensurate with an appointment at Professional level, with a PhD or equivalent qualification.
- An excellent academic reputation evidenced by a sustained record of research output.
- Excellent strategic leadership skills and knowledge, insight, and vision regarding the teaching profession, nationally and internationally.
- Proven resource, strategic and people management skills, along with the ability to develop and maintain collaborative networks.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent conflict management and administrative skills.
- Exceptional ability and resilience to function under pressure.
- Unquestionable professional integrity and stature.
- Where applicable professional registration with a relevant South African statutory body.
- Rating with the National Research Foundation (NRF) in South Africa or the potential for rating within a one/two-year period.
Company: University of Johannesburg
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Johannesburg
Application Deadline: N/A