Website Southwest Airlines
Southwest will provide a stable work environment with equal opportunity for learning and personal growth. Employees will be provided the same concern, respect, and caring attitude within the organization that they are expected to share externally with every Southwest Customer.
The Manager-Ground Support is responsible for leading ground equipment mechanics who maintain the ground equipment fleet for a mega airport or region of airports. The role leverages strong partnerships with local station leadership, vendors, and other stakeholders to ensure that Southwest’s ground equipment fosters a more reliable, safe, and low-cost airport operation.
- Drive the culture of safety and compliance in the GSE shop environment by ensuring regular attention to safety meetings, audits, trainings, inspections, and programs.
- Build and foster a productive, harmonious team environment in the shop. Plan, host, and facilitate team meetings and culture events.
- Resolve escalated interpersonal conflicts. Address performance issues in compliance with contractual requirements when needed.
- Support and advise all levels of local station leadership on their ground equipment fleet by responding to escalated issues, advising on equipment best practices, providing updates on repair work, and meeting frequently to ensure consistent, open communication.
- Monitor the timely completion of a shop’s scheduled maintenance and repairs in the fleet management system. Influence
- Lead Mechanics as needed to ensure the optimal division of work among mechanics, shifts, or locations.
- Manage relationships with onsite and offsite vendors to ensure shops have adequate parts and supplies to complete work in a timely manner. Give continuous feedback on service and set future expectations for quality, cost, and timeliness.
- Ensure a low-cost culture and budget adherence by encouraging innovative alternatives to repairs and purchases, auditing vendor invoices and parts purchases, sourcing new suppliers, or facilitating equipment warranties and auctions.
- Ensure adequate staffing coverage in compliance with contractual requirements by forecasting short-term and long-term staffing needs, managing mechanic work schedules and requests, and allocating overtime or downline travel.
- Coach the performance and professional growth of mechanics and/or supervisors by providing feedback, sharing resources and troubleshooting assistance, building leadership candidates, and encouraging knowledge sharing.
- Oversee the forecasting of station equipment needs and conditions specific to inclement weather, seasonal demands, emergency operations, or peak travel times to ensure minimal operational disruption.
- Collaborate with the greater GSE Team or other key partners to monitor special equipment projects, widespread issues or trends, facility modifications, or staffing needs across regions.
- Must be able to lift and move items up to 50 pounds.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Required knowledge of collective bargaining agreement processes and procedures
- Must maintain a well-groomed appearance per Company appearance standards as described in established guidelines.
- Preferred ability to navigate computer programs and equipment diagnostic systems
- Required working knowledge of gas, diesel, electric, hydraulic and alternate fuel systems and parts
- Required coaching, motivation, listening, and conflict resolution skills
- Preferred ability to build relationships with industry contacts and vendors
- Required professional written and oral communication skills
- Must be able to comply with Company attendance standards as described in established guidelines.
- Required ability to work extended/flexible hours and prioritize competing work demands
- Preferred ability to perform hands-on training for Mechanics
- Required advanced ability to analyze mechanical problems and advise on sound repair decisions
- Required ability to work in high-pressure or emergency situations
- Must be a U.S. citizen or have authorization to work in the United States as defined by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986.
- Must be able to climb, bend, kneel, crawl and stoop.
- Preferred ability to build or interpret reports and analyze data
- Must have abilities sufficient to work in vicinity of ramps, hangers and terminals.
Company: Southwest Airlines
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Houston, TX, US
Application Deadline: N/A