The purpose of the Buyer role is to execute the buying strategy of the Shoprite Group through the planning, selection and procurement of a range of products within a packaging category that results in the achievement of profitability goals and targets. The Buyer executes all aspects of the buying process for a product category, creating a compelling assortment that meets financial targets and supports brand objectives. The role further ensures sales growth and increase in gross margins by considering market trends and customer demand in terms of price, quality and availability when making purchasing decisions. The Buyer works collaboratively with suppliers, category, marketing and store operations teams to execute the buying strategy, ensuring a consistent customer experience and aligned execution of pricing, promotions, ranging, display and layout.
- Base price objectives on knowledge of market prices, current trends and/or market leaders.
- Effectively utilise negotiation to achieve pricing objectives.
- Continuously track competitor pricing.
- Ensure availability of stock at suppliers.
- Ensure first place in the market by maintaining price competitiveness.
- Ensure a comprehensive coverage of categories through effective range rationalisation, aligned to strategy and brand logic.
- Ensure confidentiality is maintained regarding sensitive information.
- Selection of lines and management of price points.
- Timeously supply information to Marketing.
- Identify potential gaps and international trends in order to source profitable products.
- Maintain effective administration (across all areas).
- Maintain competitiveness in cost and selling prices.
- Manage the end-to-end supply chain process.
- Determine merchandising layout that is practical and reflective of consumer patterns
- Demonstrable experience with sourcing and supplier management along with complex vendor / supplier negotiations – (essential).
- Degree or Diploma in Business, Sales, Marketing, Supply Chain, or a related field – (essential).
- 2+ years experience in a buying role, with demonstrable experience executing all aspects of the buying process for a packaging product category in a large retail organisation – (essential).
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Cape Town
Application Deadline: N/A