Website Royal Dutch Shell
The Design and Network Engineer is expected to be a Subject Matter Expert (SME) covering the application of networking technology deployed across the Shell Group. This includes both onshore and offshore facilities and the SME will also provide project design input and configuration expertise and support for Capital Projects and IT project / Programme domains. As such, the individual will have the experience of designing and configuring small to large site infrastructure comprising LAN/WAN/Internet connectivity as well as a mixture of telecommunication services such as 4G/LTE, Radio and microwave.
- Perform network and telecom design assurance on projects.
- Technical Authority for networking and field telecoms provisioning projects.
- Assurance during transition to operate during execution phase of a project in support of target operating environment.
- Define standard Field Telecom solutions and supplier strategies.
- Develop knowledge management on Field Telecoms in Shell including building Community of Field Telecom Practitioners.
- Specify the communication network required for transfer of process data to the office network and public domain taking into consideration corporate and public infrastructure
- Remotely configure LAN and WAN networking components in line with agreed standards and security requirements
- Deliver and execute the project control documentation for networking and field telecoms with assurance of the supplier plan and solution designs from an operability, affordability and maintainability perspective
- Document the architecture via network and communication systems drawings
- Specify, analyze and evaluate communication systems leveraging risk evaluations to identify redundancy and performance requirements
- Document and manage configuration templates
- Develop maintenance procedures that will maintain the integrity of the design (such as procedural requirements for software revisions, maintenance philosophies and contracts, spare parts etc.)
- Specify Acceptance Test and Acceptance Criteria to ensure supplier deliverables are in line with business requirements
- Engage with operate teams to ensure handover ownership is defined at early phase of projects and ensure designs are supportable by the operate team
- Diagnose and resolve significant complex and non-routine network and telecoms problems
- Contribute to the annual performance goals and personal development plan cycle
- Demonstrate visible leadership as well as personal commitment to Health, Safety and the Environment.
- Develop and maintain effective technical content and contractual relationships with the Suppliers to maximize the value of the relationship to Shell, addressing / resolving both delivery and contractual / legal issues with the Supplier.
Qualification & Experience:
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Telecommunications or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience leading and executing Telecoms project delivery, Telecoms operations, or IT consultancy assignments to design, develop and deliver viable network and telecom solutions.
- A high degree of technical network knowledge on traditional (IP) networks and systems as well as telecom solutions such as Satellite, Optical/Radio links, Wireless Canopy, Mobile Radio (DMR/Tetra), Microwave, Fiber Optics, Marine and Aeronautical Radio, Sub-marine Fiber and Access Security/CCTV.
- Experience in Oil and Gas or similar industry with offshore experience preferred.
- Good understanding of OSI Model, TCP/IP protocol suite (IP, ARP, ICMP, TCP, UDP, SMTP, FTP, TFTP)
- Knowledge of Layer-2 Switching, VLAN’s and Access-list.
- Knowledge of Multi-Protocol Label Switching (MPLS), Voice over IP (VoIP).
- Managing, Maintaining and Configuring an network work with the help of WAN technologies like PPP, dedicated T1s, DS3’s, metro ethernet and routing protocols OSPF, BGP.
- Back-up and restore of all critical resources including router IOS.
- IP addressing and subnetting and routing concepts.
- Switches basic configuration and VLAN setup on Cisco switches.
- Router basic configuration and monitoring of Cisco routers including VLAN’s.
- Implemented SNMP on devices to allow for network management.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience designing and engineering networking and security systems in previous roles including experience in managing telecom requirements (design and operational) for local site facilities.
- Telecoms Industry knowledge with extensive experience in Networks and Telecommunications, Testing and Commissioning;
- Knowledge of Project Delivery methodology for managing Capital Projects in Oil and Gas.
- Consistently delivered results in a matrix, global virtualized organization.
- Experience of managing contracts and working closely with suppliers to ensure the delivery of IT services.
- Cisco router/switching/security certification, at minimum CCNA preferred.
- Experience working in an outsourced environment preferred.
- Project Management certification like PMP, PMI, Prince2 preferred.
- Service Management processes (Support Models, Service Level Management, Contract Management and Supplier Management).
Company: Royal Dutch Shell
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Houston, TX, US
Application Deadline: N/A