The role of a Head surveyor is to understand all types of risks and its exposures that we write and provide a view on whether continued business is viable, it is also to guide the teams and mentor staff to meet these objectives. It also translates Santam’s aspiration of being a risk management partner into action.
The incumbent must be able to work independently and to mentor staff to enable them to assess risks according to Santam’s and National standards. This position is a leadership as well as operational role which oversees a regional team, conducts surveys, provide on the job training, and do quality reviews and will work within the prescribed parameters of the role and the National survey manager.
This role will have a consulting function where the head surveyor will be called upon to consult on risks and to provide advice to Surveyors, Underwriters, Relationship managers, technical managers, Brokers and Clients regarding the risk and alternatives to the risk reduction requirements.
- Understanding the area of operations and hazards (Geographical areas and risks associated) (Process in respect of production and the function and safety of the machinery)
- Collaborate with various stakeholders Interact (distribution, operations, underwriting and intermediaries) to ensure delivery of our world class surveying competency and continuously improve Santam’s surveying capability.
- Provide surveying guidance and support to all Santam Group companies including MiWay, SEM, Namibia and Specialist business as required
- Ensure service excellence in all survey interactions for all team members
- Manage the knowledge transfer of technical results across different knowledge levels within the business ensuring effective execution resulting in profitable growth and the maintenance of a profitable book of business
- Provide feedback and comment on rational designs.
- Engage with internal and external stake holders (Broker Distribution, Operations etc.) and to get buy-in and understanding of our need to survey risks and ensure effective execution of survey processes and provide appropriate advice as required.
- Facilitate educational programmes across the business to raise awareness around risk exposures, risk management practices and the criticality of the surveying function.
- Manage the procurement and delivery of external risk surveys in line with the quality standards and knowledge levels of Santam.
- Review and provide feedback and internal and external reports corrections to surveys as required
- Understanding all the legislative requirements/Bylaws
- Good analytical and problem solving skills and abilities
- Communication Skills
- Proven Mentorship and coaching ability
- Ability to manage own work environment
- 10+years of risk surveying or related experience
- Matric and ideally Fire Service Qualification, Technical Engineering Degree or Diploma, or relevant qualification, Minimum NQF level 4
- Valid driver’s licence
- Computer literate on Excel, Word, Presentations, etc.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Sandton
Application Deadline: N/A