Website National Treasury of South Africa
The Minister of Finance invites applications for the position of the Ombud for Financial Services Providers (FAIS Ombud). The FAIS Ombud was established in terms of section 20 of the Financial Advisory and Intermediary Services Act, (Act 37 of 2002) (FAIS Act). The FAIS Ombud is a schedule 3A entity in terms of the Public Finance Management Act, (Act 1 of 1999) (PFMA), and reports to the Minister of Finance (for details please visit https://www.faisombud.co.za/). The objective of the FAIS Ombud is to consider and assess client complaints against financial services providers in a procedurally fair, informal, economical and expeditious manner. Applications are sought from dynamic and experienced leaders, with proven experience of the financial sector and track record of effective team management and results driven leadership, at executive or senior management level. The candidate should be experienced in financial sector regulatory issues, adjudication and interpretation of laws, alternative dispute resolution and the promotion of the fair treatment of financial customers. It will be an advantage if the candidate has international knowledge or experience in financial regulation or supervision.
- Monitoring the achievement of fair customer outcomes in the financial services sector and taking steps to mitigate conduct risk and abusive market practices,
- Complaints resolution.?
- Leading, coaching, inspiring and mentoring senior members of the technical team to provide excellent service, achieve business goals and build team capacity for the future,
- Drafting and issuing determinations,
- Working closely with the Deputy FAIS Ombud, responsible for the day-to-day management and administration of the Office of the FAIS Ombud, including ensuring that the office has adequate skills and resources to meet its mandate and objectives,
- Attorney, Advocate or Ex-Judge;
- A relevant postgraduate degree in law (NQF Level 8) recognised by SAQA;
- Advanced problem solving, planning and facilitation abilities,
- Sound judgement,
- Strategic planning and leadership,
- Proven ability as a team leader with a commitment to creating, supporting and sustaining an environment that enables staff to achieve results.?
- Thorough knowledge of financial sector laws, in particular the FAIS Act and its subordinate legislation,
- General management experience,
- A deep understanding of the financial sector and the role, purpose and functioning of a financial sector regulator, and one that deals with dispute resolution.
- Strategic Capability and Leadership skills; negotiation skills,
- A minimum of 10 years relevant financial sector and senior management experience, preferably with some exposure to financial consumer protection, adjudication and interpretation of law and exposure to alternative dispute resolution,
Company: National Treasury of South Africa
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, SA
Application Deadline: N/A