Website Lancet Laboratories
Collects blood and other specimens for clinical analysis, evaluation and/ or diagnostic purposes
- Ensures that bio-hazardous waste is disposed of in the correct manner to comply with relevant safety protocols and standard operating procedures.
- Draws blood and collects non-blood specimens from patients/ clients at various locations, using the correct and sterile equipment in a manner that will yield the best results. This may include the use of Point of Care (POC) biomedical instrumentation systems and rapid testing kits for pathology.
- Monitors stock levels of all collection materials, including venesection ³bleeding´bags, and orders additional stock to ensure the availability of required materials at all times.
- Ensures that patients/ clients from whom a blood or other specimen (e.g. body fluids, tissue and excretion) is to be taken, are correctly identified and educated about the actual procedure and their rights, in compliance with relevant standard operating procedures and in accordance with scope of practice.
- Represents the organisation by applying the principles of customer care in the medical pathology field and interacts professionally and ethically with patients, clients, doctors and other hospital staff.
- Ensures dispatching of specimens for processing in accordance with prescribed standard operating procedures and monitors progress and filing of reports, including handling queries and report delivery, in line with prescribed turn around requirements.
- Keeps records of specimens collected and ensures that all patient details and clinical information is accurately recorded.
- Assists pathologists with special procedures (e.g. bone marrows, fine needle aspirates, sweat tests, pap smears, etc.) when required and in compliance with relevant working instructions and standard operating procedures.
- Observes the physical condition of patients during blood taking and applies sound first aid practices in order to ensure the safety and comfort of patients/ clients.
- Implements sound housekeeping procedures and work effectively with others as a member of a team to ensure a safe working environment in accordance with relevant legislation and all safety protocols. This includes the on-going maintenance of quality control standards, adherence to infection control measures and participation (as per delegated responsibilities) in the preparation process for internal and external quality control audits
- Medical ethical guidelines in the medical pathology fields
- Phlebotomy procedures and processes
- Organisational policy procedures
- Registration in relevant discipline with HPCSA/ SANC
- 0-2 Yrs Relevant Working Experience
- Laboratory information systems
- Anatomy, physiology and medical terminology relevant to medical pathology
Company: Lancet Laboratories
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Somerset West, Western Cape, SA
Application Deadline: N/A