Website U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Transportation Security Officers are responsible for providing security and protection of travelers across all transportation sectors in a courteous and professional manner. Their duties may also extend to securing high-profile events, important figures and/or anything that includes or impacts our transportation systems. Learn more about the Transportation Security Officer (TSO) role on the TSA Careers Website.
- Operating various screening equipment and technology to identify dangerous objects in baggage, cargo and on passengers, and preventing those objects from being transported onto aircraft.
- Controlling terminal entry and exit points.
- Engaging in continuous development of critical thinking skills, necessary to mitigate actual and potential security threats, by identifying, evaluating, and applying appropriate situational options and approaches. This may include application of risk-based security screening protocols that vary based on program requirements.
- Interacting with the public, giving directions and responding to inquiries.
- Retaining and implementing knowledge of all applicable Standard Operating Procedures, demonstrating responsible and dependable behavior, and is open to change and adapts to new information or unexpected obstacles.
- Performing searches and screening, which may include physical interaction with passengers (e.g., pat-downs, search of property, etc.), conducting bag searches and lifting/carrying bags, bins, and property weighing up to 50lbs.
- Maintaining focus and awareness while working in a stressful environment which includes noise from alarms, machinery and people, crowd distractions, time pressure, and disruptive and angry passengers, in order to preserve the professional ability to identify and locate potentially life threatening or mass destruction devices, and to make effective decisions in both crisis and routine situations.
- Must be registered for Selective Service (males born after 12/31/59)
- Subject to post-employment random drug and/or alcohol testing
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or U.S. National and at least 18 years of age
- Must be available to work various shifts and overtime, as needed
- Mandatory travel for training and occasional travel may be required
- Pass a drug screening, medical evaluation, and background investigation
Company: U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Albany, NY, US
Application Deadline: N/A