Website U.S. Department of Homeland Security
This announcement will be used to fill multiple vacancies at Office of the Principal Legal Advisor (OPLA) field locations. Although this announcement is advertised for multiple locations, it is not intended to convey that vacancies will be filled at all locations. The salary range listed is the base salary rate only. General Schedule locality pay tables may be found under Salaries & Wages.
- Prepare witnesses for trial; conducting direct examination and cross examination; presenting oral arguments advancing ICE’s legal position; negotiating the disposition of cases with opposing counsel; and advising the Chief Counsel and/or Deputy Chief Counsel on cases potentially warranting deferred action or other exercise of prosecutorial discretion;
- Provide legal advice and support to the other ICE components and litigation support to United States Attorney’s Offices in immigration and/or customs matters. The position also involves appellate advocacy before the Board of Immigration Appeals, including the preparation of briefs and other pleadings.
- Prepare cases for trial by conducting legal research; preparing pleadings, motions, briefs, stipulations, affidavits, and other legal documents;
- Construct litigation reports for U.S. Attorneys’ Offices on civil matters pending in the federal courts involving ICE, and serves as liaison between DOJ’s Office of lmmigration Litigation and the local ERO office on immigration matters pending in the Circuit Courts of Appeals;
- Represent the United States Government in removal proceedings before Immigration Judges, frequently involving applicants for asylum or for other forms of relief under immigration laws;
- Provide expert legal counsel in the interpretation of highly complex immigration and customs laws including comprehensive and in-depth knowledge of statutory, regulatory and case authorities;
- You must successfully pass a background investigation and drug screen for federal employment.
- Relevant Experience (see Qualifications and Evaluations Tab).
- Complete Application Package (see How to Apply Tab).
- Requirements by Closing Date: You must meet all requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
- Males born after 12/31/59 must certify registration with Selective Service.
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this position.
- You may be required to serve a two-year trial period, if the requirement has not been met.
Company: U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Miami, FL, US
Application Deadline: N/A