Website U.S. Department of Homeland Security
This announcement will be used to fill multiple vacancies at Office of the Principal Legal Advisor (OPLA) field locations. Although this announcement is advertised for multiple locations, it is not intended to convey that vacancies will be filled at all locations. The salary range listed is the base salary rate only. General Schedule locality pay tables may be found under Salaries & Wages.
As a General Attorney, you will perform the following duties at the full performance level:
- Represent the United States Government in removal proceedings before Immigration Judges, frequently involving applicants for asylum or for other forms of relief under immigration laws;
- Provide legal advice and support to the other ICE components and litigation support to United States Attorney’s Offices in immigration and/or customs matters. The position also involves appellate advocacy before the Board of Immigration Appeals, including the preparation of briefs and other pleadings.
- Provide expert legal counsel in the interpretation of highly complex immigration and customs laws including comprehensive and in-depth knowledge of statutory, regulatory and case authorities;
- Prepare witnesses for trial; conducting direct examination and cross examination; presenting oral arguments advancing ICE’s legal position; negotiating the disposition of cases with opposing counsel; and advising the Chief Counsel and/or Deputy Chief Counsel on cases potentially warranting deferred action or other exercise of prosecutorial discretion;
- Prepare cases for trial by conducting legal research; preparing pleadings, motions, briefs, stipulations, affidavits, and other legal documents;
- Construct litigation reports for U.S. Attorneys’ Offices on civil matters pending in the federal courts involving ICE, and serves as liaison between DOJ’s Office of lmmigration Litigation and the local ERO office on immigration matters pending in the Circuit Courts of Appeals;
- You must be a graduate from an accredited law school, be an active member in good standing and have three years of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 grade level.
- You may be required to serve a two-year trial period, if the requirement has not been met.
- Trial advocacy skills, including proficiency in the development of case strategies, direct examination and cross-examination of witnesses, and oral argument;
- Relevant Experience (see Qualifications and Evaluations Tab).
- You must be a graduate from an accredited law school, be an active member in good standing and have one year of specialized experience;
- Experience involving contact with government witnesses, immigration judges, and opposing counsel in trying cases before an immigration court;
- You must successfully pass a background investigation and drug screen for federal employment.
- Complete Application Package (see How to Apply Tab).
- Reviewing memoranda of understanding, applications for search and/or arrest warrants, personal assistance agreements, requests for certification and re certification of undercover operations, affidavits in support of wire-taps, and related matters of investigatory concern to ICE officers and agents;
- You must be a graduate from an accredited law school, be an active member in good standing and have two years of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-11 grade level.
- Males born after 12/31/59 must certify registration with Selective Service.
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this position.
- Skills in litigating cases before courts and must demonstrate proficiency in objecting to the admission of excludable evidence during trial;
- Outstanding written, oral advocacy and judgment skills; proficient organizational, communication and interpersonal relationship skills and the ability to function independently and as part of a team.
- Requirements by Closing Date: You must meet all requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
- You must be a graduate from an accredited law school, be an active member in good standing and have four years of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-13 grade level.
Company: U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Houston, TX, US
Application Deadline: N/A