Website Development Bank of Southern Africa - DBSA
The Investment Officer is responsible for executing the strategic objectives of the business in collaboration with the Transacting Head whilst being accountable to move investment opportunities / projects (provided by the Coverage Team) from early review to bankability.
- 1. Evaluate the feasibility of investment opportunities / project transactions with a view ensuring that they are commercially sound prospects for debt financing and developmentally impactful aligned to the DBSA’s strategy and mandate.
- Make transactions bankable by identifying and mitigating key risk issues by working closely with Investment Support Team (Sector Specialists, Country Risk Specialists, Financial Analysts, etc.)
- Provide value to transactions for the benefit of and/or the client through knowledge of the subject, innovation and lateral thinking.
- Provide input into early review proposals and documentation in the agreed format.
- In liaison with the Head: Transacting structure and negotiate the detailed terms of the deal / transaction with Treasury, Legal, and Loan Administration Teams to drive the approval of transactions.
- Close deal / transactions by obtaining the relevant internal approvals for the transactions and leading or actively participating in the successful conclusion of negotiations.
- Actively manage the transaction unit to drive the credit approval process in its entirety from early review to the relevant approval committees.
- Ensure proposals submitted to these committees are well structured and documented for effective decision making.
- Implement transactions by facilitating the preparation or managing the preparation of complex multiple jurisdiction documents and compliance with all required procedures, laws and regulations.
- In liaison with the Head: Transacting resolve any potential constraints in the lending value chain.
- Manage all risk aspects of the State Own Entities (SOE) and Sovereigns related financing delivery function, in terms of ensuring appropriate structuring of investment risks and on-going mitigations of operations-related risks.
- Revenue performance in terms of Interest Income and/or Fees generated.
- Delivery on the agreed Operations Mandate; these include:
- Growth rate in assets of loan book;
- Annual disbursements, commitments and approvals;
- Quality of loan book;
- % of loan book in priority geographies and sectors;
- Number of new clients;
- Executives – CIO, Coverage, Transacting, Project Preparation, Treasury
- DBSA Committees, e.g. Deal screen, Investment Committee, Asset/Liability Committee
- Management and staff – Risk, Project Preparation,Transacting ,Treasury, Finance, Financing Operations, Investment Support
- A Bachelor’s degree i.e. Finance, Business, Accounting, or Economics;
- 2-5 years’ experience in appraising, negotiating and closing Project Finance, Corporate Finance, or Structured Finance transactions in a financial institution;
- Experience in securing infrastructure investment deals in relevant sectors/geographies in Africa.
- Experience in initiating and developing new business strategies and opportunities to create a pipeline of development impact projects ensuring deal flow and bankability.
- Experience in securing deals of appropriate size for sectors and geographies in question.
- Good networks and relations with clients, particularly State Own Entities (SOE) and Sovereigns, and stakeholders/partners e.g., local, regional, and global private investors and banks in order to identify and source viable projects/investments.
- Successful track record in leading project teams with high level stakeholders and qualified professionals;
- Experience in using Financial models;
- Comprehensive knowledge of the complex financial and regulatory environments in Africa.
- In depth knowledge and understanding of infrastructure market, financial markets and the macro landscape.
- Demonstrable experience in identifying client challenges and playing an active part in finding innovative solutions.
- Experienced communicator and negotiator
- Strong negotiation skills with the ability to close deals.
- Proven experience in working with snr stakeholders in highly political environments.
- Role requires flexibility to be deployed to other business units if required
Company: Development Bank of Southern Africa – DBSA
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Midrand
Application Deadline: N/A