Website Canada Post / Postes Canada
Reporting to the Manager, Industrial Relations, the Advisor, Industrial Relations is actively involved in the facilitation of Industrial and Labour Relations activities within a functional or geographic area. The Advisor supports field management and human resource business partners through providing advice, support and guidance regarding the application and interpretation of relevant policies, legislation and collective agreements. They will be further responsible for matters such as undertaking grievance resolution and existing as the first contact for all Industrial Relations Officers in their team, providing coaching to team members and assisting the manager with the performance management activities of the team.
- Consults with regional union / management representatives on matters relating to working conditions, disciplinary issues and problem resolution.
- Handles grievance procedures after the 1st level in a timely and effective manner to ensure speedy resolution of employee problems or concerns.
- Provides, in accordance with National Policy, Labour Relations Services in a highly labour intensive, mechanized, fast changing and politically sensitive environment, consisting of a large number of employees represented by a variety of unions and bargaining agents.
- Provides specialist advice, guidance and support to all levels of field management and the business partners in the interpretation, application, and administration of Collective Agreement(s) along with changes to collective agreement(s) or national policies. Advises on the handling of grievances, conciliation or arbitration cases, and is required to present or assist in arbitration cases.
- Participates and assists the manager in the Performance Management Process by setting expectations for the team; monitoring their performance; creating development or improvement plans; conducting periodic check-ins to ensure employee is on-track; and reward the employee with positive feedback.
- Maintains a network of internal and external contacts to regularly benchmark and remain current on future trends and developments related to labour relations programs, policies and strategies. Participates in HR associations and events, in order to remain current and promote the CPC brand.
- Provides leadership to a team of professionals within the Industrial Relations function. Develops, monitors and coaches Industrial and Labour
- Relations Specialists through on-boarding and training programs, identifying and closing performance gaps in order to meet departmental objectives.
- Administration of the grievance management system (GMS). Ensures proper documentation is collected and recorded in the system.
- Integrates and monitors the business processes for regional consultations, grievance management, arbitration, WCB appeals within the operating area. Links with Head Office ensuring the universal application of Head Office developed policy.
- Clarifies team and corporate priorities, facilitates alignment of priorities, and ensures through training, a continuing development of employees.
- In some instances, the incumbent may have administrative staff reporting directly to them.
- Assists Industrial Relations Specialists through complex situations and ensures the case is well documented and contains all information to resolve the situation to the satisfaction of the client.
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to build and maintain relationships
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- 3 to 5 years of relevant functional experience
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience at Canada Post or demonstrated 2 years in similar highly unionized environment
- Knowledge of labour/management principles, the Canada Labour Code, the Canada Labour Relations Board process, Canada Post collective agreements, Canada Post Health and Safety programs, the Worker’s Compensation Process and the Canada Post Act. Also familiarity with provincial labour regulations, collective agreements and various labour organizations
- Proficient computer skills and competent with Microsoft Office programs
- Experience in both contract interpretation and Grievance and Arbitration
- Knowledge of Labour Relations, Human Resources, Mail Operations, Collection and Delivery, Marketing and Retail Operations or similar operational experience
- Excellent team building and leadership skills and experience
- Sound organizational, analytical, judgement and decision-making skills with proven abilities in problem solving
Company: Canada Post / Postes Canada
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Application Deadline: N/A