Website University of Cape Town
The Laboratory Technologist is responsible for the execution of laboratory procedures and the management of the Histology Unit as a core facility for the University of Cape Town as well as other institutions external to the University of Cape Town to support research related activities. The position directly reports to the Head of the Division of Immunology.
- Generate invoices for work done.
- Responsible for Keeping accurate records of samples and relevant experimental information.
- Prepares all required buffers and solutions according to SOP for experimental procedures.
- Responsible for Consulting and advising researchers and students on techniques and methodology appropriate for research applications.
- Archive tissue samples
- Responsible for Keeping accurate and updated records of all protocols on electronic files with back up.
- Record study data according to guidelines
- Accurately record work received and work completed.
- Develop, optimize, and verify new protocols according to project requirements.
- Attend relevant courses to improve skills and keep updated with new methods
- Responsible for the management of the histology unit. This includes histological staining of formalin fixed tissue, ensuring samples be correctly trimmed, processed, embedded, cut and stained.
- Prepares and processes tissue for cryosection and staining.
- Responsible for performing specialized laboratory procedures. E.g., wax embedding, cutting, and staining of formalin fixed tissue as well as cutting and staining of cryosections.
- Receives, verifies, and ensure quality of all laboratory specimens.
- Responsible for the ordering as well as ensuring sufficient consumables are available to perform experimental procedures.
- Ensure the maintenance and servicing of equipment is carried out according to SOPs and manuals.
- Responsible for Teaching and training researchers and post graduate students in methodology as required.
- Must have efficient time management skills, must have good communication skills, experience in good laboratory practice is an advantage. Must have experience working with tissue for histological and cryostaining staining, ability to work efficiently and independently. Must be proficient in problem solving
- Computer literacy, Health and Safety Regulations
- Excellent communication skills
- Efficient time management skills
- Ability to work autonomously
- MSc in any Biological field
- 1years’ experience working in a histological laboratory setting. This will include proficiency in tissue sectioning, standard tissue staining and immuno-histochemical techniques.
- GCP Certification, advantageous
- Basic computer literacy
Company: University of Cape Town
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Cape Town
Application Deadline: N/A