Tesla’s actuator team designs and builds actuators for humanoid bi-pedal robots (Tesla Bot). The team joins mechanical, electrical, and electromagnetic engineering disciplines in a highly collaborative environment.
This position is critical to the development of the high-performance electromechanical rotary and linear actuator systems for humanoid bi-pedal robots (Tesla Bot). Tesla actuators need to deliver high performance, efficiency, and torque (force) density. You will join the team of electromagnetic motor design engineers to develop the most torque and force dense rotary and linear electromechanical actuator systems in the world.
As part of the design team, you will be responsible for design of actuator gear systems. You will also support industrialization and production activities.
- Collaboration with supply chain, vendor, and manufacturing engineers.
- Continuously evaluate new technologies and design improvements to develop the most power dense, efficient, low cost, and reliable electromechanical gear systems and actuators.
- Basic fabrication, machining, wiring, general electronics, debugging, and parts chasing.
- Design and integration of rotary and linear speed reduction systems for high performance motion control actuator applications.
- Collaboration with electromagnetic motor design engineers to develop the most torque dense and efficient electromechanical actuator systems in the world.
- Design and build motor, gear, and actuator prototypes for the validation of mechanical and electromechanical performance.
- Demonstrated successful experience in mechanical engineering in a product design and manufacturing environment.
- Experience in design and analysis of planetary, strain wave (Harmonics Drives), cycloidal, ball screws, belt drives, lead screws, magnetic gear, speed reduction systems with high specific torque (force), efficiency, and reliability.
- Experience with thermal analysis and design for passive (natural convection) and active cooling.
- Hands-on experience, previous project experience and/or internship is preferred.
- Familiarity with various electric motor, electric drive, and motion control technologies.
- BS in Mechanical, Mechatronic, or Aerospace Engineering, or equivalent.
- Experience with torque and force sensing technologies and instrumentation.
- 3+ years experience with design of rotary and linear gear systems for electromechanical actuators used in motion control applications.
- Excellent experience with design and analysis of geared actuator systems with rotary and linear gear reduction mechanisms.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Toronto, Ontario, CA
Application Deadline: N/A