- Accountable for defining the project scopes for respective project tracks and ensuring integrity of experimental work carried out (both internal and third party) and recommendations made.
- Strong organic synthesis and catalysis skills are essential for this role in supporting Sasol’s Chemicals business. The successful candidate will be responsible for implementing value-added solutions in relevant technology areas and projects. This will entail troubleshooting existing processes, beneficiating products and finding solutions for lower value by-products and waste streams.
- Be recognised as a knowledge custodian of relevant functional and technology areas with fundamental knowledge across a number of chemicals technologies, sub-technologies and process chemistry. Adaptable and agile in order to move and support in areas of priority.
- Scientific standard of excellence maintained by keeping abreast of chemistry/scientific solutions through the synthesis of literature knowledge and experimental data to support projects and draw implementable conclusions.
- Coordinator and/or technical track lead of complex projects across technology areas. Working constructively within multi-disciplinary teams is a critical skill.
- Take lead in ensuring comprehensiveness of technical solutions within project track.
- Provide quality assurance for in-house developed and 3rd party developed data/solutions.
- Ensure adherence to Sasol governance and risk management policies, including safety.
- Support the Sasol vision and values
- Maintain scientific standard of excellence (e.g., literature, patents, technology landscape, conferences) and advance body of knowledge within functional area and technology area.
- Give advice and direction on projects as and when required.
- Represent Sasol with professionalism in external engagements (third party feedback sessions, conferences, etc)
- Independently initiate/conceptualise, lead and implement value-added, scientific solutions with minimal supervision in relevant technology area and projects.
- Manage projects within time, budget and to business and quality requirements; while adhering to SHE, portfolio management, technology governance, IP and other business systems/requirements.
- Develop and maintain third party networks.
- Work constructively within multi-disciplinary project teams.
- Formulate alternative solutions to business support and product/process development projects.
- Capture research outputs in written format to facilitate knowledge management and preserve technical knowhow across team boundaries.
- Capture and share information/knowledge of best practices within discipline.
- Transfer knowledge to peers and give guidance to chemists and junior scientists.
- Expand knowledge of Sasol value chain, technology/knowledge area
- Take responsibility for personal performance, development and skills development.
- Postgraduate training in Organic Chemistry and/or Catalysis will be an advantage.
- 5+ relevant years Experience
- MSc Chemistry
- PhD Chemistry (Preferred)
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Sasolburg
Application Deadline: N/A