To source and provide quality news copy that accurately reflects the latest news events regionally, continentally and internationally, in order to attract and retain the various targeted audiences
- Rewrite copy from the newsroom and other sources within tight deadlines.
- Seek/give advice on the delivery of top stories.
- Ensure quality of sound clips for broadcast.
- Utilise research and social media platforms to understand target audience needs and consumption trends.
- Contribute content for online publication.
- Provide input in the retention and attraction of talent.
- Manage, coach and mentor junior news desk staff.
- Assist presenters to achieve accurate news reading delivery/presentation.
- Generate and put out customised news bulletins and headlines as per schedule and as per target audience preferences.
- Ensure a thorough and well informed approach to covering activities and events in all regional blocs on the continent
- Allocate responsibilities and schedule team in a fair and transparent manner.
- Liaise with reporters and search news sources for breaking stories, fresh angles and updates on stories.
- Adhere to changes of schedule and time of newscast.
- Communicate with other news outlets inside and outside the SABC.
- Network with other newsmakers and sources of news.
- Adhere to the Channel Africa style guide.
- Attend to internal and external customers/clients queries/ complaints.
- Liaise and co-ordinate in time with technical producers for all live crossings.
- Contract with team on the SABC’s Performance Management System in accordance with the organizational policy and procedures.
- Produce voice reports where necessary.
- Knowledge and understanding of transmission chain.
- Ability to work with people of diverse languages and cultures.
- Degree or National Diploma in Journalism (NQF6)
- Excellent news sense.
- Problem solving skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and long, irregular shifts
- Excellent English communication (including writing) skills.
- Sound understanding of current trends and issues in the social, economic and political environment on the African continent.
- Knowledge and understanding of broadcast standards, Policies and SOP’s.
- Good understanding of equipment and facilities within a broadcast environment.
- Advanced understanding of SABC broadcast operations
- Knowledge and understanding of play-out and recording system e.g. Dalet or Dira!
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng, SA
Application Deadline: N/A