Website South African Post Office - SAPO
To lead the Bank’s Compliance function by providing strategic direction and focus. Ensuring that the bank continuously manages its regulatory and supervisory risks, that is, the risk that the bank does not comply with applicable laws and regulations or supervisory requirements
- Implement a consistent operating framework for the identification, management, monitoring and reporting of compliance risks and issues
- Ensure that the compliance operating framework is embedded consistently across the bank to meet internal and statutory requirements
- Report non-compliance with laws and regulations or supervisory requirements, to the Audit and Compliance Committee as well as to Management
- Ensure that the Chief Risk Officer and other senior management and executives are kept informed on compliance matters which pose financial or reputational risks for the business
- Conduct compliance assurance reviews on relevant and critical legislative and statutory requirements and issue reports to management to solicit remedial action plans
- Conduct information and awareness sessions to highlight emerging and topical compliance trends
- Assess Postbank compliance by conducting activities to support the annual compliance plan, identify and communicate gaps and ensure resolution of issues by way of management driven action plans
- Interact with various statutory and other bodies on matters of compliance (e.g. FIC, FSB, SARB) and internal divisions (Internal Audit, SAPO Risk and Compliance etc.)
- Prepare relevant regulatory returns for submission to SARB/ other regulators, e.g. FICA, FAIS, etc.
- Ensure compliance with regard to submission of reports required by all relevant regulatory bodies.
- Participate in the annual budgeting process for Postbank and manage own cost centres
- Ensure the effective and efficient management and control of functions/resources in accordance with the stipulations of the Public Financial Management Act, fraud prevention and risk management principles, legislation, company policies, processes, regulations.
- Recruit and develop skilled and talented staff
- Manage performance of direct reportees ensuring agreement of annual goals, measuring performance against agreed goals and dealing with non-performance accordingly
- Conduct talent management of direct reports, including career development and paths for all staff
- Ensure that staff receive adequate and relevant training to support their careers
- Minimum Requirements:
- Relevant B-degree in Law, Auditing or Commerce (NQF 7)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Compliance Management or similar qualification (NQF level 8)
- The successful incumbent must meet the “fit and proper” requirements of a Compliance Officer, as prescribed by the Financial Advisory and Intermediary Services Act, in order for him/her to be registered as a Compliance Officer in terms of any/all of the above related legislation.
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience in compliance risk management gained in a retail, financial and commercial banking environment and/or law enforcement/prosecution environment.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a management role.
- Knowledge and understanding of:
- Thorough understanding of banking practices and the associated risk management thereof. Proven track record in managing a compliance management department(s) in a similar environment. Good understanding of integrated compliance management processes. Good understanding of Government related acts (PMFA, Banks Act, Postbank Act, FAIS Act and FICA Act, OHSA, Labour Relations Act, Criminal Procedure Act). Understanding of National Treasury Regulations would be an advantage
- Skills and Attributes:
- Strong skills in consolidation practises. Strong leadership skills with ability to interact and influence at all levels. Good process evaluation skills. Good analytical skills. Good strategic thinking ability. Strong relationship management skills. Good business intelligence and organisational awareness ability. Good interpersonal and presentation skills. Good people management skills. Good written and verbal communication skills. Good planning, organising and time management skills. Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office. Lateral thinker. High attention to detail. Decisive. Results driven. Resilient. Able to work under pressure
Company: South African Post Office – SAPO
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Pretoria
Application Deadline: N/A